Acquired in 1925, Lawrence Park is considered the first park of Sterling, and was named for the Lawrence family in honour of their bequests to the then Sterling-Coloma Township Park District. Lawrence Park is an island located on the Rock River that is accessible from the Avenue G Bridge. The park has fairly shallow banks, so canoe and kayak launches can take place from virtually anywhere on the island. The park features one boat ramp and it is located on the North side which faces Sterling. Sterling Park District oversees Lawrence Park.